OEUFS EN MEURETTE
Yield: Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a light entree
- 1 cup strong chicken stock
- 1 cup pinot noir
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small carrot,peeled, small dice
- 1 rib of celery, small dice
- pinch black pepper
- 1 TBSP soft butter
- 1 TBSP Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups pinot noir to use as poaching liquid
- 4 Baguette Slices, toasted
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, ½ inch pieces, cooked crisp
- 8oz small mushrooms, sautéed in the bacon fat
- Bring the wine, stock, herbs, and vegetables to a boil, reduce 50%, strain.
- Work the butter and flour into beurre manié, whisk into the sauce and return to the fire until thickened.
- Heat the remaining wine and use to poach the eggs to the desired doneness.
- Plate the eggs on top of the toasted baguette, dress with sauce and garnish with the mushrooms, bacon and a fresh herb sprig.