Washington State Chef's
Member Spotlight - July 2019
Chef Prakash Niroula was born in Jhapa Nepal in a generational farming family and graduated from Kathmandu, the nation’s first hotel management school. From there he traveled the world working for many years on cruise ships. Between 2006 and 2016 Chef Prakash worked for Hyatt Bellevue, Bon Appetit at Amazon and Starbucks world headquarters where he established his style of global cuisine. He’s a founding member and Chef Partner in Lish food in Seattle. He was also the Chef Owner of Nirvana Kebab & Curry, a fusion cuisine of South Asia and the Mediterranean. Chef Prakash joined DoubleTree by Hilton Seattle Airport in 2017 where he works as Chef de Cuisine.
Chef Prakash thrives by being involved in social work, sports, photography, driving his sports car and being with family and friends. He is passionate about taking care of wildlife and nature and is a member of Conservation Northwest.
Chili Ginger Roasted Tofu
-Recipe by Chef Prakash
Recipe includes carrot puree, roasted yukon potatoes, grilled asparagus, and wild mushroom ragout. (VEGAN/ GF)
Total time prep & cook: 45 min
Ingredients (Yield: 2 servings):
- 6 oz Vashon Island organic firm tofu
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- ¼ tsp fine minced ginger
- ¼ tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup carrot puree
- 1 ea roasted medium size yukon potatoes
- 2 oz wild mushrooms blend
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp fresh chopped herbs (parsley & thyme)
- Salt & black pepper as needed
- 2 cherry tomatoes blistered or roasted
- Slice tofu into 3 pieces evenly and dry with a paper towel.
- Rub tofu with fresh ginger then coat with sweet chili sauce.
- Place tofu in a baking pan and roast until it gets nice golden brown color on the surface (350 F for 10-12 min).
- Roast Yukon potatoes at same temp for 20 min.
- Season asparagus with S&P, canola oil and grill.
- In a sauté pan heat ½ tsp canola oil, add chopped garlic keep stirring until it gets light brown color and deglazed with balsamic vinegar.
- Add mushroom medley, keep stirring until almost dried and season with S&P.
- In a coup plate or pasta bowl, put carrot puree, place grilled asparagus in the center and roasted (sliced into 3 pieces) Yukon potatoes 12-4-8 clock position. Now stack roasted tofu in the middle put mushroom ragout on top.
- Garnish with blistered cherry tomatoes and chopped herbs.
- Serve hot.
For Carrot Puree:
- 2 oz sliced carrot
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of lime juice
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan and put peeled sliced carrots.
- Sauté for 2 minutes, add water, salt, lime juice and cover with a lid.
- Cook to medium heat until carrots are tender and there is little water left in the pot.
- Add a splash of water if they start to dry out.
- Puree it to fine smooth texture.