Yield: Serves 4
- 2 live lobsters (1-2 lb. each)
- 1 onion,coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 lb. butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup brandy
- white pepper and salt, to taste
- Place the lobsters in a large heavy pot. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes more. Drain and plunge into cold water to arrest further cooking. Extract the meat, chop it and set it aside.
- Place the lobsters’ remains in a roasting pan with the onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves and butter. Roast in a preheated 400°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and strain off the butter into a heavy saucepan. Place the remaining contents of the roasting pan into the 2 quarts water and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Strain the stock.
- Heat the butter in the saucepan. Add the flour and cook the roux for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the stock and blend well. Then add the cream, Sherry and brandy.
- Simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Season with white pepper and salt to taste.
- Strain the bisque and add the lobster meat.
- Serve immediately.