Washington State Chef's
Member Spotlight - December 2009
John Fisher CEC
Chef John Fisher, CEC, CCE, AAC, HGT, WCMC, has been employed as Senior Chef Instructor at Renton Technical College (RTC) in the Culinary Arts program, beginning April 28 2003. Chef Fisher graduated from Renton High School in 1966 and is a 1967 graduate of the Renton Technical College Culinary Arts program.
Chef Fisher was the Academic Director of the Culinary Arts program at the Art Institute of Seattle for eight years as well as a culinary instructor. In March 2003, he received the ACF (American Culinary Federation) Chef Professionalism award for the Western Region. In 2002, Chef Fisher won the Western Regional American Academy of Chefs Chairs Award and was profiled in the November 2002 issue of the National Culinary Review, Chef Fisher was elected Western Regional c/o Vice Chair in 2003 and 2009 ,currently serves as National AAC education chair. Chef Fisher has contributed numerous articles to the American Culinary Federation’s National Culinary Review and to other culinary publications including Chef Magazine and Chef Educators Today and was involved in filming 100 episodes of 90-second culinary tips for the serious cook on Northwest Cable News. He led the Art Institute of Seattle’s Hot Foods Team to first place in the ACF Western Regional Junior Hot Foods Competition.
Chef Fisher has 45 years of experience in the hospitality industry. He has taught at Boise State University and has been the executive chef in numerous hotels, clubs, and restaurants. Some of his honors include Chef of the Year (1974-1979) and has won 40 Gold, 41 Silver, and 18 Bronze medals as well as two Grand Salons, in the American Culinary Federation competitions. Chef Fisher has been a member of the American Culinary Federation for 39 years and the American Academy of Chefs for 26 years and was appointed the Education director on the AAC Board for 2008. Chef Fisher won the 2005 Western Regional Hermann G. Rusch Achievment Award for leadership and dedication to the culinary industry. Chef Fisher was elected Vice Conseiller Culinaire Provincial Pacific North West Region for the Chaine des Rotisseurs and was awarded the Bronze Star of Excellence, Chef Fisher Has been reasently appointed the Conseiller Culinaire Provincial PNW and elected consellier culinaire Provincial for half the United States. Chef Fisher was Inducted into the Honorable Order of the Golden Toque a life time achievement for contributions to the culinary industry, there are only 100 members world wide, Chef Fisher resides in Renton Washington with his wife Kathryn Fisher of 27 years.
View his favorite recipe below…
WASHINGTON ALDER GRILLED CHICKEN
- ½ cup of Fruity white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tsp crushed Marjoram
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp crushed tyme
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Washington grown chicken breasts (Draper Farms)
- Raspberry glaze
- 8 sage leaves
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients except chicken, sage leaves and vegetable oil; mix well.
- Marinate chicken in the mixture for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add moistened alder chips to hot coals.
- Grill chicken skin side down, approximately 8 to 10 minutes; turn and cook until chicken tests done at 165 degrees and juices run clear when cut with a knife.
- Fry sage leaves till crisp 350 degrees, pat dry and hold on absorbent towel.
- Serve with Raspberry glaze, garnish with fresh raspberries and crispy fried sage leaves.
- Raspberry Glaze: Combine ¼ cup of fresh or frozen Raspberries in a sauce pan with ¼ cup of dry port wine, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 tsp corn starch slurried with port wine. Cook and stir over medium low heat until sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Stir in 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar; strain and pour over chicken.
Recipe Nutritional Info:
412 calories, 31 grams of protein, 20 grams of fat (5 saturated fat), 18 Grams Carbohydrates, 93 mg. cholesterol / 94 mg sodium
79 calories /o grams. Protein/ 0grams fat/16grams carbohydrates. 0mg cholesterol/1mg sodium
Wine suggestion: Merlot / Summer time dry Rose