HOME STYLE MEAT LOAF WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Makes 12 portions
- 4 each eggs
- 12oz milk
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4oz onion, minced
- 1 1/2oz minced garlic
- ½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoons ground sage
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 4oz tomato ketchup
- 2oz brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- In a bow, combine the eggs and milk.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and sage.
- Add the ground beef mixture and mix well.
- Place meat mixture into loaf pans (if available ).
- Place in preheated 325 F oven, uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar and dry mustard. Mix well.
- Discard excess fat from loaf pan.
- Top meat mixture with an even coating of the ketchup mixture.
- Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to set before slicing into portions. Transfer to warmer. Serve hot with mushroom gravy.
Mushroom Gravy Sauce
- 1/4 oz butter
- 1/4 oz shallots, minced
- 1/8 oz minced garlic
- 1/8 pound sliced mushroom
- 1 oz red wine
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter, add shallots and garlic. Saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushroom and cook over high heat until tender.
- Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Transfer to warmer. Serve warm.