May 2009 WSCA Meeting
Seattle Kitchen Academy graciously hosted a fun and very informative meeting “The Buzz about Honey” on Monday, May 11, 2009. Chef Frerichs gave an entertaining presentation about bees and honey preparation. A tasting of honeys and some preparation ideas followed. Everyone who attended was sold on the value of local natural honey. Check your local farmers markets for natural, non pasteurized local honey. You will taste the difference.
Try these recipes:
Pan Seared Scallops with Madagascar Vanilla Honey
- 4 – Scallop(U-10)
- 1 tsp – Kosher Salt
- 1/2tsp – Black Pepper
- 3T – Canola Oil
- 1T – Madagascar Vanilla Honey
- Clean scallops and remove side muscle.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides
- Heat pan until hot
- Add oil and heat
- Place scallops in pan and sear evenly until caramelized
- Finish in Oven if needed
- Let scallops rest for a couple of minutes and place on plate
- Carefully spoon a small amount of honey on each scallop – Serve!
Chipotle – Blackberry Honey Vinaigrette
Yield: Makes 3 1/4 Cups
- 2T Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- 1 C Blackberry Honey
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 C. White wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- Place peppers, honey, salt and vinegar in blender and blend until combined
- Slowly add the oil while blender is on.
- Add lemon juice to finish while blender is operating.
- Serve with favorite salad